The group of buildings of the Székely National Museum is the most beautiful edifice of Károly Kós and probably of the entire Arts and Crafts Movement. The concept of community halls as central parts of the public collection of Hungary made their construction possible between 1911-1913, just like in the case of the Palaces of Culture of Arad and Marosvásárhely built in the same period. The construction loan instalments, completing the deductibles, were redeemed by the Hungarian Government, even decades after the transfer of sovereignty.
Károly Kós combined a 1904 plan of Győző Gyárfás and Dezső Hültl with the design elements of his gasworks of Marosvásárhely. Preferably, local materials were used in the construction, done mostly by local builders. The museum garden, having an ornate Székely gate at the entrance, was redesigned as an arboretum and two service apartments were also built at the request of museum guards. After a parcel expansion, the Csíki house, the oldest Hungarian open-air museum, was installed permanently in the garden between 1932-1937.
After the death of Kós, between 1979-1981, an extension of the northern wing of the main building was also added based on his plans, adapted by Barna Deák and Ferenc Gagyi. Many of his original interior design plans were later executed or were reconstructed between 2008-2012. The street in front of the group of buildings has been named after Károly Kós since 1990.
Adress: Str. Kós Károly Nr. 10